2024 What to Do After a Truck Accident in Oklahoma?

A truck accident can be a traumatizing event in one’s life, even more so than a car accident. Getting in an accident with a vehicle considerably larger than yours can often cause catastrophic damage to your vehicle and possibly others. The emotional trauma may be just as bad and will likely last much longer. You may be wondering what to do after a truck accident in Oklahoma. There are certain steps you can take to protect yourself if legal action is taken.

What to Do in the Aftermath of a Truck Accident

In the immediate aftermath of a truck accident, you may be somewhat dazed or even seriously injured. Your decision-making abilities could be compromised, and you may be unable to make any informed decisions about anything. Still, try to stay calm and try to implement the following steps to ensure you have taken care of yourself:

  • Do Not Panic: Whatever you do, try your hardest not to panic. You have just been through a traumatizing event, and you may be unaware of the extent of the damage to your vehicle and to yourself. Take a moment to gather yourself.
  • Call 911: If you are able to, call the authorities as soon as possible. Even though you may not be noticeably injured or in any severe pain, you could very well be in shock and unaware of any internal damage. You should have a qualified medical professional check you for injuries before assuming you are completely fine. You will also need a valid police report in order to pursue an insurance claim.
  • Move Your Car: It may not be possible to move your car if the damage is too extensive. However, if it is possible, you should move your car to the shoulder so you do not risk additional damage or another accident. If you are too injured to move or the car is too damaged, simply stay in your vehicle and wait for the authorities.
  • Take Witness Information: If your injuries are minimal, you may want to gather information from any witnesses who saw the accident. This will be important later for your insurance claim. This could be your only opportunity to speak to these people, and they may be harder to find if you decide later that you need their help.
  • Document the Scene: Make sure you take plenty of photos of the accident scene for documentation. This includes the damage to your vehicle, any property damage sustained from the accident, any injuries you have suffered from the accident, and damage to the truck.
  • Get the Truck Driver’s Info: You should collect the contact and insurance information of the truck driver if possible. You should also get any information the driver has regarding the cargo of their truck, the owner of the truck, and the owner of the cargo. They may be liable for damages.
  • Contact a Lawyer: Once you have assessed the damage, taken care of yourself medically, and gathered the proper information, contact a truck accident lawyer to begin pursuing a claim. An experienced lawyer can lay out your options, help you build your case, and launch their own investigation to determine fault.


Q: Do You Have to Call the Police for a Fender Bender in Oklahoma?

A: No, you do not have to call the police for a fender bender in Oklahoma. You are only legally required to notify law enforcement if the accident resulted in at least $300 in damages. If nobody was injured, property damage was minimal, both parties were insured, and nobody started a fight, you would not have to call the police. However, you may not be able to file an insurance claim without a valid police report.

Q: What Do I Do Immediately After a Collision?

A: What you should do immediately after a collision is call 911. Make sure the accident is documented properly and that anybody who is injured is treated as soon as possible, including yourself. Ensuring the welfare of everyone involved in the accident should be your top priority before starting to gather evidence for an insurance claim in the near future. Safety should be paramount, and then you can start documenting the accident with photos and witness statements.

Q: Is Oklahoma a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?

A: No, Oklahoma is not a “no-fault” state for car accidents. Oklahoma is an “at-fault” state pertaining to car accidents. The person who has caused the accident is responsible for paying the other party’s property damages and medical bills. Oklahoma does not require drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance to cover their own medical bills in the event of an accident. The liable party is expected to pay.

Q: What Do You Do After Getting Hit by a Truck?

A: What you should do after getting hit by a truck is check yourself for any obvious injuries. Getting hit by a truck is a serious, possibly catastrophic event that will likely cause injury to those involved. You need to immediately check to see if you have suffered an injury. If not, notify the authorities and get to a hospital as soon as you can. You may have internal injuries you may not be aware of due to the shock.

Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer Today

The aftermath of a truck accident can involve confusing legalities, insurance companies, and legal strife you were not prepared to deal with. You may also be suffering from complicated, painful injuries that have taken over your day-to-day life. You want compensation, and you deserve it. 222 Injury Lawyers understands your plight and is prepared to help you fight for justice.

We can provide you with sound, compassionate legal counsel, advice on how to proceed, and assistance with insurance companies who only want to pay you off with as low an amount in damages as they possibly can. With our help, we can challenge them together. Contact us to schedule a consultation as soon as you can.

Oklahoma City Office

222 Injury Lawyers, PLLC
3030 NW Expressway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73112

Request a Free Consultation
We Don’t Get Paid Until You Do

Fields Marked With An * Are Required

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Tulsa Office

222 Injury Lawyers, PLLC
1217 E 33rd St.
Tulsa, OK 74105

*Please send all mail correspondence to this location